La Liga training to resume this week with season restart in June

Laliga

Soccer clubs in Spain’s top two divisions will return to individual training this week for the first time since the activity was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic, while organisers will aim to re-start the season in June, La Liga said on Monday. A statement from the organising body said clubs would follow the league’s protocol for returning to training which had been agreed with Spain’s sports and health authorities and which guaranteed the safety of players and staff. READ> Liverpool should be awarded Premier League title, ex-manager Houllier says The protocol obliges players to undergo testing for the novel coronavirus before they can return to training facilities. “These measures cover a period of approximately four weeks with different phases that, in any case,

Liverpool should be awarded Premier League title, ex-manager Houllier says

Liverpool

Former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier believes his old club should be awarded the 2019/2020 English Premier League (EPL) title even if the season is not completed because of the COVID-19 crisis. Liverpool are 25 points clear at the top with nine games left to play in the Premier League. The competition has been on hold since March 9 as the novel coronavirus spread across the globe. According to Houllier, who led Liverpool to FA Cup and UEFA Cup glory in 2001 during his six-year spell at Anfield, Juergen Klopp’s team would be deserved champions. Asked if Liverpool should be awarded their first top-flight title since 1990, the former France coach said: “Yeah. “That’s what they did in France. They gave it to Paris St-Germain (PSG).

FIFA vice president ponders calendar-year season in Europe

FIFA Vice President Victor Montagliani has said that moving the European soccer season to the calendar year is a “possibility to be discussed” in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. The pandemic has brought football to a standstill around the world. In an interview with Italy’s Radio Sportiva, Montagliani, who was seen as a close ally of FIFA President Gianni Infantino, said the move would fit in with the 2022 World Cup being played in Qatar in November and December. The head of world soccer’s governing body himself had said that football would  be totally different when restarted, and that the current stoppage could be a good chance to overhaul the overloaded calendar due to run until 2024. “We have the opportunity because the

League, federation to decide when La Liga returns, Spanish PM says

League, federation to decide when La Liga returns, Spanish PM says

Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez on Saturday said he was hopeful that La Liga returns “soon”. Sanchez however said he expected that it would be the leagues and federation that decide when, after the government began easing coronavirus restrictions. The sports ministry approved La Liga’s plans on Thursday for clubs to test their players for the coronavirus before they returned to training. This has come as the league looks to restart the season in June after it was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Spain, one of Europe’s worst-hit countries with 25,100 deaths, imposed a strict lockdown in March, confining most of the population to their homes. Yet after 49 days, they have now allowed people to leave their homes for exercise. “I’m more of a

BREAKING: Arsenal coach Mikel Arteta tests positive for coronavirus

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has tested positive for coronavirus. The Gunners have closed their training ground and club staff who had recent contact with Arteta will now self-isolate. The Premier League will hold "an emergency club meeting" on Friday to discuss future fixtures. "This is really disappointing but I took the test after feeling poorly," said Spaniard Arteta, 37. "I will be at work as soon as I'm allowed." Arsenal expects a "significant number of people" will self-isolate, including first-team staff and coaches. "The health of our people and the wider public is our priority and that is where our focus is," said club managing director Vinai Venkatesham. READ ALSO: Brazilian political aide tests positive for coronavirus after meeting with Trump "We are in active dialogue with

BREAKING: Joshua Defeat Ruiz, Reclaims His World Titles – #RuizJoshua2

British boxer, Anthony Joshua has defeated defending champion, Andy Ruiz Jr to reclaim his world heavyweight titles which he lost in June. Joshua won by unanimous decision as the three judges gave him the fight. Joshua lost the titles to Ruiz in a shock June defeat in New York. With his victory, Joshua has joined greats such as Muhammad Ali, Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield on the list of heavyweights to reclaim world titles.

Everton bounce back from derby pain to beat Chelsea

Chelsea slipped to their third Premier League defeat in four matches on Saturday as Everton bounced back from their Merseyside derby humiliation to win 3-1 and escape from the relegation zone.   Goals early in each half from Richarlison and Dominic Calvert-Lewin put the home side 2-0 up and although Mateo Kovacic pulled one back, Calvert-Lewin struck again late to seal the win.   The three points for Everton, under the temporary charge of Duncan Ferguson following the sacking of Marco Silva, lifts them to the relative comfort of 14th spot in the table. Frank Lampard’s men remain in fourth place but Wolves could close the gap to just three points if they beat Brighton on Sunday. READ ALSO: Police officer shoots boy to death for

Ruiz Appears In A New York Knicks Top, Mocks Anthony Joshua

Andy Ruiz is battle-ready to defend the titles he won six months ago when he squares up against Anthony Joshua in Saudi Arabia this weekend. The Mexican-American fighter caused major boxing upset on June 1 in the United States after downing his opponent at the MGM Arena in the seventh round. However, with about two days left to their famous rematch, Ruiz sent soft shades to Joshua after appearing in their press conference in a New York Knicks top. SunSport reports that the boxer wore the same outfit freshly after winning the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight titles earlier in the year. Both boxers were said to have been presented with the New York Knicks tops before the unexpected happened at the Maddison Square Gardens. Meanwhile,

JUST IN: Everton sack manager Marco Silva

JUST IN: Everton sack manager Marco Silva

Everton have sacked manager Marco Silva after a run of eight defeats in 11 matches left the club in the Premier League’s bottom three. The Portuguese has overseen a period of steady decline since early September and falling into the relegation zone after a humiliating 5-2 defeat in the Merseyside derby at Anfield proved the final straw for majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri and the club’s board. Duncan Ferguson has taken temporary charge of the Toffees and will oversee Saturday’s clash against Chelsea. A statement from the club read: “Everton Football Club can confirm that manager Marco Silva has left the club. 🔵 | Everton Football Club can confirm that manager Marco Silva has left the Club. #EFC pic.twitter.com/R2JqAMBdu2 — Everton (@Everton) December 5, 2019   “Majority shareholder

Jurgen Klopp gamble pays off as Liverpool thrash Everton

Jurgen Klopp gamble pays off as Liverpool thrash Everton

“We did it because we can do it,” said Jurgen Klopp. It was shortly before kick-off at Anfield and the Liverpool manager had been asked to explain his team selection. A Merseyside derby seemed a strange time to make five changes to his starting line-up, but Klopp was right. Despite resting Mohamed Salah, Roberto Firmino, Jordan Henderson and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Liverpool were able to put five goals past Everton and they could have had more. Divock Origi scored two of them. Xherdan Shaqiri, another of the stand-ins, got one of the others. The emphatic 5-2 victory is likely to spell the end for Marco Silva at Everton. For Liverpool, it maintains an eight-point lead at the top of the table and extends their